Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fermented food - fun new thing

Fermented food isn't new, of course, but it is new that I'm doing it. I don't cook or bake much these days, since there is usually just Bob & me to eat it. After reading about how easy it is to make fermented food, though, I decided to try it again. I used to make cultured buttermilk, years ago, but how much buttermilk can one person drink? Also had a yogurt maker, but it made such itty-bitty cups of yogurt, it was just too much trouble.

I also had a kombucha tea culture going for a long time, but once I got diabetes, I decided that that much sugar was not good for me. This time, I started with kefir, which I tried in Estonia every day for lunch. It was delicious! And it's easy. I ordered "kefir grains" here: Cultures for Health. More about how to make kefir here: wegotreal.com/milk-kefir-what-it-is-and-how-to-make-it/.

Looking through this page with lots of links, girlmeetsnourishment.com/56-fermented-recipes/, I found one for fermented carrots sticks, which looked interesting.

Http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/08/lacto-fermented-dilly-carrot-sticks.html

The recipe is:
  • 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
  • 1 tablespoon whey
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
  • 3 cloves of garlic, quartered (optional)
  • Filtered water

Place the carrot sticks into a quart mason jar (or other quart sized container with a lid that fits snugly) and add the rest of the ingredients, shaking gently to settle the carrots if needed.
Fill to within one inch of the top with filtered water.

Cover tightly and allow to sit at room temperature for 4-7 days; you can try them at 4 days and see if you want them to be more sour or not, to get them more sour/soft leave them out at room temperature longer. Because the carrots are more dense, they take longer to ferment than other lactoferments like sauerkraut or pickles. They also stay crunchier, which we like!

After fermenting at room temperature, keep in your fridge- they last for months!

I bought a couple of bunches of organic carrots, which filled on smaller jar, and one a bit bigger. I had no whey yet, so I used 2T of salt in the smaller jar, and 3T in the larger.  I used garlic in both jars, and dried dill.

Once I get some whey from my kefir, I'll try that as well. Can't wait to taste them on Monday! Also, need to get to more canning jars. I know where they are in the garage, but so far, too high to reach, even with a ladder!

Next up: Sauerkraut. This looks great: www.hollywoodhomestead.com/sauerkraut/

Nice short list: nourishedkitchen.com/fermented-foods-that-kids-love/

No comments:

Post a Comment