Saturday, October 16, 2010

Blogger sadness > New Blog

I'll keep up my Linux Grandma blog here for now, but Blogger has started adding an insidious ad across the blog content, obscuring it from the reader. That must be really annoying, and I don't want to subject people to that. Serendipity is the blog software that KDE uses, and so far, it seems great. I might install it on my own server for the other blogs I have, and move the content from Blogger. What a pity; Blogger used to be great.

Maverick Meerkat Kubuntu, released 10/10/10, was quite an adventure in installation, due to PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair), but with the help of my son, and friend maco, and my blogged experience of the last install, I have quite a beautiful install going.

All apps installed well, most importantly Amarok and Konversation. Once I regained my old /home partition, I have my music again, unfortunately without covers and lyrics. However, the new cover-fetching is excellent, and I hope to have that all rebuilt in the next couple of months. Until then I'll be playing "Random" a lot!

While mentioning Amarok, I have to say that it's Roktober, so give! I did, and it feels great. Also, it's great to have it built from git again. All the latest!

The biggest surprise with Mav was installing Skype again, to test my built-in video camera and mic. Previously, the camera worked, but never the mic. I thought maybe it was mis-installed. However, once I unmuted it in pavucontrol (Pulseaudio controller), it worked perfectly!

I've been recently given Kubuntu membership, and am headed for UDS next weekend, to plan for Natty, the next release. Please give me any feedback you'd like me to take to Florida about the future of Kubuntu.

I'll be blogging, at least about KDE, Kubuntu, and Amarok here: http://amarok.kde.org/blog/categories/31-valoriez.

Such a pity about Blogger. ::sigh::

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. What ad? I don't see any here.. I use blogger myself also and I don't seem to have anything on mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valorie,

    The ad that you're talking about in Blogger, is it the "Followers" box? That's the only thing I've noticed in a quick glance on your site (that interferes with the content). If that's what you're referring to, I think it's actually a theme problem--as your main text seems to flow over into the sidebar on a lot of posts (instead of staying in the main content portion of the screen).

    At first I thought it was an issue with firefox (not showing the entire page unless you widen the window), but that's not the case. You can also remove the Followers box (but I don't think that's an option since you've got followers).

    Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a theme thing. I think she used "pre" tags, which mean pre-formatted text. They absolutely do not wrap *ever* so they will flow over into the sidebar, regardless of the set width of the content section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was nothing on the side, this was insidious popups, or rather "slide across" ads, like an old window shade opening from the left to the right.

    However, apparently they either stopped doing it, or they appeared only for me, so as long as my readers aren't inconvenienced, I'll keep using this space.

    ReplyDelete